Our Editor’s Beauty Secrets: Why the Right Cleanser Matters
Proper cleansing is the most basic and the most important step in maintaining healthy skin and to feeling refreshed. Here are some must-know tips about cleansers!
WHY IS CLEANSING IMPORTANT?
- Removes build-up and impurities – Our skin produces oil that traps dirt, dead skin cells, germs, and all the unwanted debris. Cleanser helps in getting rid of all these impurities.
- Moisturises – Go for a cleanser that does not strip the skin’s natural protective layers and moisturises at the same time.
- Prepping skin to absorb the next skincare step – Once impurities are gone and pores are unclogged, your skin can absorb better whatever skincare product that you are putting on next.
CLEANSING vs. DOUBLE CLEANSING
Double cleansing is a common skincare approach in Japanese and Korean beauty regimes. It means using an oil-based cleanser or micellar water first to dissolve makeup and unclog pores, before using another water-based or foaming cleanser to get rid of the debris and impurities.
THE MYTHS ABOUT CLEANSING
- The more the better – Too much cleansing will disturb the moisture and pH balance of your skin, which may cause skin issues later. It is enough to maintain a twice-daily cleansing regime to maintain the skin’s natural balance.
- One cleanser for every type of skin – It is important to choose the right cleanser for your skin type. Read the label carefully because different types of cleansers work differently for different skin conditions.
- Squeaky clean feeling means your cleanser is working – Not necessarily. Your skin should feel comforted, refreshed, and soft with no feeling of tightness when you use the right cleanser for your skin type.
TYPES OF CLEANSERS
- Foam Cleanser – This is the most commonly found cleanser and is effective to remove excess oil and dirt on the face. Most foam cleansers are better suited for oily and combination skin.
- Cream Cleanser / Cleansing Milk – This type of does not create too much sud and usually contains moisturising ingredients to provide additional care for the skin without stripping the skin’s natural oil. This type of cleanser is suitable for all types of skin especially dry and sensitive skin.
- Gel Cleanser – Comes in a gel-like consistency and generally good for deep cleansing and unclogging pores, this type of cleanser is suitable for oily and combination skin.
- Oil Cleanser – Oil cleanser can remove pore-clogging debris gently, therefore it is effective in removing waterproof makeup without drying your skin. The best part is that oil cleanser can suit almost every type of skin.
- Clay Cleanser – Clay works like a vacuum cleaner especially when you need to unclog pores and purify the skin. Check the label before you purchase as some clay cleansers are more suitable for a selected skin type, but gentler version clay cleansers like the Nanowhite Microfoliating Clay Cleanser is suitable for all types of skin.
- Micellar Cleanser – Contains dirt-loving micelle molecules that attaches itself to makeup and debris to break it down further before removing them. Micellar cleanser is great to remove dirt and makeup. No rinsing is required if you use a micellar cleanser to wipe your face. Nanowhite Brightening Micellar Water is good for all types of skin.
HOW TO CHOOSE YOUR NANOWHITE CLEANSER
Nanowhite knows what is best for our skin, and we advocate double cleansing when necessary. Here are some simple guides to help you choose the right cleansers for your skin.
Pre-Cleanser – Just like the name, these products are best used before the actual cleansing step:
Nanowhite Brightening Micellar Water – Formulated with Omega White-C, Vitamin C, and Vitamin E, this cleanser gives you a cleansed, hydrated, and soothed skin. Saturate some Micellar Water using a cotton pad and wipe across your eyes, face, lips, and neck to dissolve makeup and remove dirt. No rinsing is required.
Nanowhite Clarifying Cleansing Milk – This lightweight and
non-greasy cleanser can easily remove makeup and impurities without stripping the skin’s natural protective film. Apply it onto your face and massage gently. Wipe it off with a cotton pad before you rinse it off with water.
Nanowhite Awakening Snow Wash – This moisturising cleanser is enriched with Omega White-C and Nanotechnology to give you fairer and fresher skin. It cleanses and moisturises skin at the same time and is perfect for normal to oily skin. Just apply and massage your skin in a circular motion before rinsing it off with water.
Nanowhite Microfoliating Clay Cleanser – Containing microparticles of natural sea clay, this cleanser cleanses out dirt and impurities that are trapped within pores. It also helps smoothen uneven patches on the skin and boost the renewal of the skin. Apply and massage your skin in a circular motion and rinse it off with water. It is also gentle enough for everyday use.